PREPARATION OF RECONSTITUTED SKIM MILK
Reconstituted milk is prepared in the Dairies to improve the supply position of market milk. Large quantities of reconstituted skim milk used for the preparation of toned milk in the major market milk projects in India. The object of this exercise is to learn the procedure followed in its preparation.
1. Multipurpose vat with a pump and funnel hooked up for reconstitution of milk (capacity about 500 liters).
2. Avery platform weighing balance to weigh correct to nearest 100 gms.
3. Skim milk powder of known moisture content.
1. Make sure of the composition of reconstituted skim to be prepared.
2. Calculate correctly the proportion of different ingredients to be used for the preparation of the specified quantity of reconstituted milk with pre determined composition
3. Weigh correctly the quantity of skim milk powder and keep it ready for reconstitution process.
4. Take the powder with the known volume of water through the funnel and pump into the multipurpose vat.
5. After all powder and the water have been taken to the vat, recirculate with the aid of pump at least for 10 to 15 minutes to facilitate proper dispersion.
6. Filter off the undispersed lumps etc, by means of a pressure filter or clarifier.
7. Pasteurize the reconstituted milk either by holding method or H.T.S.T process and cool to below 5°C before storage.
8. Clean all the equipment as per standard method of cleaning and leave them sterile for next operation.
Production Chart: Reconstituted Milk
1. Quantity of Reconstituted Milk to be prepared_________
2. Quantity of skim milk powder and water required_____
3. Type of powder spray dried/Roller dried________
4. Moisture content of the powder______
5. Quality of Reconstituted milk prepared____
6. Quality of powder_____
7. Composition of Reconstituted Milk_____ kg.
8. Loss of solids_____Kgs____%
9. Mode of disposal. used for the preparation of toned milk/preparation of products/used as fluid skim milk.
10 Temperature of Storage____ °C